So we wanted to do a special twist on the "12 Days of Christmas" for y'all who love to make "things", especially those that like to include your families in the process. Growing up in a 3D household, my 3 year old daughter, Teagan, is already familiar with 3D Printing and has been building imaginary printers out of Lego's for some time now. She also knows her Dad makes filament and that filament goes in a 3D Printer. Not bad for a 3 year old, right? These little people are pretty sharp. I'd be surprised if she isn't making her own 3D Prints next year as a 4 year old...and I'm sure she'll be explaining to and teaching her little sister to do the same. So here is to a wonderful holiday and prosperous New Year! Enjoy some 3D Printing time with your family!!!
Peace, Love & Pasta from our family to yours, Alex
P.S. You'll find our "12 Things for Christmas" videos on YouTube here:
And the files we are printing in our Thingiverse collection here:
And follow @Proto_pasta on Instagram for more great Proto-pasta 3D Prints!
ProtoPlant successfully kickstarted Proto-pasta brand filament by bringing 3 new 3D Printing materials to market, including World’s First Carbon Fiber PLA. Fulfilling the 500 backer rewards was 6 months of tedious work, during which we continued operating our traditional engineering services business to pay the bills. Over the past 1.5 years, we’ve pushed hard to transition nearly 100% of our business to 3D printing related activities.
This transition has not been without risks and challenges. As a small 3 man team, we’ve carefully allocated resources. It’s pretty special to have had the opportunity to follow our passions while making a notable impact in this still developing space!
We’ve standardized processes while maintaining flexibility in trying new things. We’ve developed resale to far reaches of the world with representation in Argentina, South Africa, and Australia among others. We’ve embraced the maker spirit through continued experimentation. Through this we’ve not sacrificed quality because if you can’t get good prints with our filament, what’s the point?
Besides creating unique filaments, our biggest differentiator is the equipment we use to do this. Proto-pasta is extruded on ProtoPlant designed and purpose-built extrusion systems. Our machinery is custom made from the control software to diameter measurement, haul-off, and spooling. Can any other filament manufacturer claim this?
We continue to improve and build more machinery while expanding our facility to meet your demand! We promise to keep pushing the limits in creating new and interesting materials for your FFF style 3D printer! Thanks kindly for your support!!!
Finally, stay tuned for an upcoming podcast with Proto-pasta founders Dustin and Aaron Cram recalling their journey over the last 2 years.
3D Printing Holiday Gift Guide – What 3D Printers, Filament & Accessories to buy this Christmas!
Best 3D Printers (least to most expensive)
- Easy-to-use & assembled – M3D & Printrbot Play – Printing is more affordable than ever! Missed the M3D Kickstarter? Now you can buy it! Also, check out the heavier duty, more hacker-friendly Printrbot. - starting at $349.
- Best open source kit – SeeMeCnc Rostock Max – Want the fulfillment of building your own printer & enjoyment of watching a Delta style printer work? Look no further that SeeMeCnc! - $999
- Best value assembled – Dremel Idea Builder & FlashForge Creator Pro – A proven printer design with lots of parts & upgrades plus the convenience of Amazon Prime shipping. – starting at $999
- Best open source assembled – Lulzbot Mini & Taz 5 – Open source and industry leading. Luzbot offers a premium, professional 3D Printing experience & a good performance value. – starting at $1350
- Go big or go home – Re3D Gigabot – Tired of the small stuff? Print big for less than you think. The new v3 Gigabot just released! Available in kit or assembled with various options. - starting at $8550
- Build preparation software – Simplify3D – Hands down, the best upgrade for your printer & they just released a comprehensive troubleshooting guide. So helpful! - $149
- Easy part removal - Peel-a-part Flexible Build Platform – Stop scraping & prying. - $33
- Best exotics upgrade - Wear Resistant Nozzle – Trouble-free printing. – starting at $14.99
- Multi-materials – The Palette – More materials from a single nozzle. - $799
Unique & Interesting Filaments
- Best exotic printing value – Proto-pasta Carbon Fiber PLA – World’s first (and best printing) carbon fiber 3D printing filament just got more affordable. Print everyday for that iconic, photo-ready matte finish. – starting at $29.99
- Personal metal printing – Proto-pasta Stainless Steel & Magnetic Iron PLA – Unique aesthetic for the designer & artisan w/ interesting properties for the engineer. Metal printing on your desktop. - starting at $15
- Durable, engineered parts – Proto-pasta High Temperature PLA & PC-ABS Alloy – Affordable printing of performance materials for standard & high performance printers. Print something useful. - $35
- Electrified printing – Proto-pasta Conductive PLA – Integrate electricity into your prints without any special hardware or upgrades. Want to make a game controller, flashlight, or stylus? Prints like PLA. – starting at $15
- Newest and most unique – Proto-pasta Aromatic Pine & Coffee – Missed September’s release of the industry’s first aromatic filament? Print with coffee and pine too with our special holiday release - starting at $35
Content – Models for 3D Printing
- Best exclusive models - 3D Shook – a subscription-based model library w/ exclusive designs. Guaranteed printable w/ relevant themes, minimum 100 files are added/month. - free trial w/ code “protopasta”
- Most creative models - 3D Kitbash – I can’t believe we just discovered these folks! They just completed another kickstarter & offer the most fun & interesting files - free & 10% off paid w/ code “protopasta”
- Best Thingiverse alternative - Pinshape – Whether you’re taking a philosophical stand against Thingiverse or just don’t like the dated aesthetic, Pinshape is one of many easy on the eyes & the wallet alternatives. – free
- Largest curated model collection - MyMiniFactory – An extensive collection w/ many free downloads & designer files available for purchase as well. A unique & growing platform w/ many contests. - free
3D Printing Services
- Local 3D Printing - 3D Hubs – Have a printer with some extra time or aren’t ready to buy a printer? 3D Hubs has you covered! Make local connections & 3D prints – varies & $10 credit w/ link
- Leading 3D Printing Marketplace – Shapeways – Upload files, order prints. Real metal & durable plastic – varies
These recommendations are made in good fun & based on our still limited experience in an ever-growing/changing industry. Get out there, try something new & share your experience!
Peace, Love & Pasta from ProtoPlant, makers of Proto-pasta